Shanafelt School, Salem, IL

OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY

shanafeltnew

Shanafelt School

West Main and Selmaville Road

Salem, IL 62881

Young School met in a building, during the 1840’s, that was used as a one-room school and a church.  Young School then moved to a building on the corner of Red Stripe and Selmaville Road.  This school used a well, located in the front yard, as a water source.  The entire community came to fill their water tanks from this well, and surprisingly, it never ran dry.  Due to the large addition of “oil boom” students in the late 1930’s, this school was divided into two buildings.  In the early 1940’s a new Young School building was built on the site of the present Selmaville school.  Shanafelt School was also a one-room school located on the corner of Selmaville Road and Route 50.  Over a period of time, each school began to consolidate with other one-room schools.  A 19,000 square foot school was erected in 1950 on the site of the earlier Shanafelt School. This building site was the location of the former Selmaville North School.  A decision was made to consolidate Young School and Shanafelt School.  In 1967, Selmaville School was established.  Students in grades kindergarten through fourth grade were placed in the old Shanafelt building.  Students in grades five through eight attended school in the old Young School, where the current school is now located.  This arrangement continued until the South School was remodeled, and the new portion of that school was constructed. The North students moved to the current campus in November of 2004.

New Chester One Room Schoolhouse, New Chester, NS

OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY

new chester ns can

New Chester One Room Schoolhouse

New Chester Community Club

New Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada NS B0J 2K0

The New Chester Community Club is a modest, one-and–a-half story, one-room schoolhouse that is now used as a social club. It is set back and down a slight slope from the road in a rural setting in the community of New Chester, on Nova Scotia’s eastern shore. Also known locally as the Little Red Schoolhouse, this building was built in 1915 to meet the educational needs of the New Chester residents. With a rather remote setting inland from Ecum Secum in Nova Scotia’s sparsely populated Eastern Shore region, a building of this size was sufficient but also allowed schoolchildren to remain relatively close to home. The school opened late in the year on June 5th, 1915, with Katherine Harris as the schoolteacher. Other notable teachers over the years included Deliah Pace, Bessie Hay, Hilda Moser and Opal Forrestall.  Albert Moser and Thomas Irwin of nearby Moser River did most of the work on the structure. The building retains many of its original features, including the sash windows and wood shingles. The building has an overall balanced and unadorned appearance with a steeply pitched roof, symmetrical windows on the side and front facades, and a central entrance in the gable end with a wooden door. Decoration is added with a wide trim at the eaves and modest window hoods. A simple, pitched roof covered entrance with wooden support brackets defines the entrance. The building also has a basement entrance that was originally used mainly as access for coal and wood storage as the building was heated with one central stove in the classroom. The building also served the community as a space for church services at times until an Anglican church was built nearby in 1959. In 1952, senior students began being bussed to a new consolidated high school in Sherbrooke, lowering the class sizes in this traditional one-room schoolhouse. By 1962, the school was closed and elementary students were also bussed to a new school in the community of Marie Joseph. In 1974, a conservation grant allowed the New Chester community to begin repairs on the structure and it began a new life as a venue for social gatherings and the local community club.  The New Chester Community Club is valued for its intact original architectural features and as a physical representation of the one-room schoolhouse education system of early twentieth century Nova Scotia.

Charlotte Hall Little Red Schoolhouse, Coltons Point, MD

OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY

charlotte-hall-st-celements-island-museum-school-house

Charlotte Hall Little Red Schoolhouse

38370 Point Breeze Rd.

Coltons Point, MD 20626

The St. Clement’s Island Museum rests on the east shore of the Potomac River overlooking St. Clement’s Island, Maryland’s First Colonial Landing in 1634. The Museum’s mission concentrates on Maryland’s earliest history and Potomac River heritage. The Museum focuses on the English history that preceded the voyage to Maryland relating the religious and political issues of the 16th and 17th centuries beginning with the vision of George Calvert, the First Lord Baltimore, to found a colony incorporating religious tolerance and his sons’ implementation of this vision.  Also on the Museum grounds is the “Little Red Schoolhouse,” an authentic 19th century one-room school.  Formerly known as the Charlotte Hall School, this building was built in the early 19th century, c. 1820. Originally located on Thompson Corner Road in the Charlotte Hall area of St. Mary’s County, the land it sat on was purchased from the Edwards family for $10 per acre. Records indicate that a good and substantial house of 16 feet square and of chestnut logs was erected for the sum of $150.

After completion, the school was attended by children in grades one through seven who lived within walking distance, which was 5 to 6 miles.There were no paved roads, and on rainy days the mud sometimes pulled the children’s rubbers right off their feet. In bad weather, there was no school.  The school had a “cloakroom” where grades 1 through 3 met, while grades 4-5 and 6-7 met in the larger room.   Those were the days of no electricity and no plumbing. Light came through the large windows and heat was provided by the wood-burning stove. Winter mornings were freezing until the stove got hot.  Water was only available by cranking an outdoor hand pump and the restroom was an outhouse, one for the boys and one for the girls.  There was no cafeteria. No gymnasium. No air conditioning. No bus transportation. The students who went to school here lived a simpler life. Different from today maybe, but they still learned the basics: reading, writing, and arithmetic.

The Little Red Schoolhouse was presented to the St. Clement’s Island Museum by the heirs of Maryland State Senator and member of the House of Delegates, Henry J. Fowler, Sr. Senator Fowler had attended the school in 1919. Many years later, Senator Fowler purchased the now decrepit building from the St. Mary’s County Board of Education for $5.  The school was moved 3 miles from its original location to Horse Range Farm to be preserved as a museum.  It was then moved in 1991 to its present location on the St. Clement’s Island Museum grounds where it has been restored and preserved as a St. Mary’s County historical treasure. Also donated were the building’s contents, including the desks and a picture of George Washington, and are replica “two-seater” outhouse. Sadly, none of the contents are from the original schoolhouse.  The Little Red Schoolhouse stands restored and preserved on the grounds of the St. Clement’s Island Museum in Colton’s Point, MD. This humble little structure stands as a monument to education in early America representing one of hundreds of one-room schoolhouses that have dotted this nation. Today, visitors can enter this preserved treasure of yesteryear and almost hear the sounds of days past within its walls.  The Little Red Schoolhouse is open during the operating hours of the St. Clement’s Island Museum and is handicap accessible.

Allow Yourself to Rest

Allow Yourself to Rest
by Lori Freeland

Let’s be real.

There’s a season for everything, right? Even rest? So why does it feel like rest is something to be equated with lazy?

Do you wake up wondering how long until bedtime? Wonder how you’ll get everything done by the end of the day? Do you rush to finish things early in the morning before your energy level tanks below barely registering? 

Maybe you’re a ragged mom, who spends more time in the car than at home. Why can’t someone just hurry up and invent a washer/dryer set that fills itself, washes, and switches loads?

Perhaps you homeschool numerous kids in multiple grades and spend your life repeating K-12. The good news is fourth grade math gets easier every year you practice it. At least remember to cheer yourself on for the A’s you’re finally making now. Fractions are hard.

Read more:

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/women/allow-yourself-to-i-rest-i.html

Bear Creek Schoolhouse, Ennis, MT

OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY

bear-creek-schoolhouse-3

Bear Creek Schoolhouse

59 Haypress Lake Trl.

Ennis, MT 59729

A wonderful piece of history lies across the road from the Bear Creek Ranch in Cameron, Montana. The once vibrant one room school known as Bear Creek Schoolhouse, six miles from Cameron and seventeen miles south of Ennis in Madison County, now serves as the heart of the community in a new light as documented in Cowboy and Indians Magazine. Built in 1909, the old one-room school has electricity and heat but no running water and no students in 70 years. From 1910 to 1920 it grew to 40 students but began to decline after the 1930s.  It hasn’t been the scene of a traditional class since 1942, but you’d never know to look at it. The paint is new, the roof is solid, the walls clean, the floor gleaming. It’s virtually unchanged since it was built, but it’s not a museum. The Cameron Community Club has been caretakers of the building since 1945 and use it for pinochle parties, cowboy poetry readings, and other social events.

Killian School, Columbia, SC

OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY

Killian+School+1

Killian School

Killian Elementary School

2621 Clemson Rd.

Columbia, SC

This one-room primary school, built about 1925, stood about 1 mi. E, at the intersection of Killian and Longtown Roads, until 2001. There was a school at Killian (also called Killian´s) as early as 1905. From 1913 to 1948 Killian School had two teachers and an enrollment of 30 to 80 students in grades 1-7, with an average attendance of 30 to 40 and an eight- to nine-month school year.  Killian School closed in 1948, and its students and one teacher went to Blythewood Grammar School. In 1954 Richland County sold the school to the citizens of Killian for $100.00 as a community center. The Killian School was deeded to Richland County School District Two in 2000 and moved to the Killian Elementary School in 2001 to be renovated as a museum of 20th century rural education and a conference center.

Dot One-Room Schoolhouse, Roosevelt, WA

OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY

dot2

Dot One-Room Schoolhouse

Dot Rd.

Roosevelt, WA 99356

Dot was a pioneer community established around the late 1890’s in Klickitat County, WA, located near Rock Creek Canyon. The Dot grange hall was originally served as the Dot community church and was built in 1889. One of the first ministers of the church was William Douglas in 1904.  He was a circuit riding preacher, traveling from church to church preaching.  His son William O. Douglas became a Supreme Court Justice serving from 1939 – 1975. Dot was listed as having a post office according to the Geological Survey of 1913. Today the abandoned school house and grange hall are about all that remain at Dot.