OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY
Shubael Little Pioneer Village
7590 E. State Road 66
Cannelton, Indiana 47520
The Shubael Little Pioneer Village is a non-profit, tax exempt, corporation with a board of trustees dedicated to the preservation of Perry County History through the collection of 3-Dimensional Artifacts, building, and documents. The site is being developed and maintained so that present and future generations may appreciate, understand, and learn from the past. The village is located in the rolling hills of Southern Perry County, near the Ohio River, at 7590 East State Road 66, Cannelton, Indiana, 47520. The village is 1/4th mile north of Rocky Point. The village was founded in the year 2000 with the re-construction and dedication of the first 150-year-old cabin.
Included in the village are 6 hewn-log vintage homesteads, a blacksmith shop, a carpenter’s shop, The Troy Stone Jail, The Rogier ‘Beehive’ Oven, a mercantile, a smokehouse, a rustic shelter, and The Milestone One-Room School. The setting is reminiscent of the 1850’s, augmented with numerous authentic artifacts. The village is named after Shubael C. Little, a pioneer and first land owner of the land comprising the village. Shubael settled here in 1837. He helped found the first school at Rome, IN, and a Masonic Lodge in Cannelton. He was a Union Patriot, losing one of his two sons in the Civil War. Shubael’s first wife was buried at the village. The village serves a diversified population. It is a rich experience for scouting, school groups, and those who enjoy visiting historic sites to reconnect with their ancestors and family history.
Professional house movers brought the historic Millstone one room school from its Millstone site on a flat bed truck in the Summer of 2013. After extensive renovations inside and out, friends and former classmates gathered there for a dedication ceremony and to see the completed structure in the Fall of 2016. Built in 1905, the school saw continuous service and was an anchor for the Millstone community until the School’s closure in 1946. This renovation project would not have been possible without the generosity of Guy Neil Ramsey, who attended all 8 grades there. Ramsey provided a major grant to move, restore, and preserve this important piece of Perry County history. The school, completely restored to its former glory inside and out, is a valuable education tool at the village and a exceptional addition to the panoply of exhibits there.