OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY
Ledyard District #11 schoolhouse
The Ledyard District #11 schoolhouse was lovingly relocated by Doug and Bill Haynes, upon the passing of their father, Leon, who had owned the building and was last custodian there. The schoolhouse currently sits along Rt. 34B only a mile or two up the road from the King Ferry Rural Life Museum and its Franklin schoolhouse. The Ledyard school is privately owned, and is preserved as it was last, with little restoration involved on the inside of the building. The building has not only a “tin” ceiling but tin walls. It originally was located at the corner of 34B and Ledyard Road but was relocated in the early 2000’s to the family farm to aid in its visibility to the broader community. The building dates from 1843.