OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY
Reckahn School Museum
32-56 Reckahner Dorfstrasse
Kloster Lehnin, Germany14797
The Reckahn School Museum is housed in the school building that landowner Friedrich Eberhard von Rochow built in 1773. It was the first two-class village school in Prussia and became a pedagogical model in Europe. Rochow wanted to make agricultural production more profitable through reforms. When he realized that the education level of farmers and estate workers was not sufficient to carry out reforms, he decided to improve the social and economic situation of the rural population through education. Rochow founded at his estate in Reckahn, south of Brandenburg on the Havel, a village school. He found an essential support in Heinrich Julius Bruns , who was appointed by him to the teacher in Reckahn. The first class was for the beginners who learned the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. In the second class, the advanced students were then taught in other subjects. The schoolhouse was designed according to the most modern and progressive principles. The design is probably from J. C. F. Keferstein , who was a mathematician at the Ritterakademie Brandenburg .
On the ground floor is a large and high classroom. The other rooms were living and working areas of the teacher. For more than 170 years, this house was used as a school until the end of 1945. After 1946 the schoolhouse was inhabited by refugees. In 1955 the schoolhouse became a nursery school. For this purpose, a number of changes were made to the building over the next few years. From 1980, the number of children declined steadily. The school was then closed in 1991. On February 26, 1992, the Reckahn School Museum was opened in the old school building. Since 1996, the district of Potsdam-Mittelmark has been the owner of the museum, which is run by the Förderverein “Historisches Reckahn.” In the former classroom, a school situation of a rural school in the first half of the 20th century was reconstructed. Learning and teaching materials document lesson content. Historic projectors document the use of visual teaching media. The teacher’s living room shows an exhibition about life and work of Friedrich Eberhard von Rochow. Upstairs there is an exhibition on the life and work of the first teacher of this school, Heinrich Julius Bruns. In other rooms, exhibits from school history and the presentation of physical, biological and chemical cabinets are presented.