OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY
Blackhead One Room School and Church Museum
8 Blackhead Village Road
Blackhead, Cape Spear, Newfoundland, Canada
Located in Blackhead village, near Cape Spear on the outskirts of St. John’s, NL, is a beautifully restored one room school and church originally constructed in 1879 as a school but soon had a dual-function as a school and church known as St. Joseph’s Chapel for the Roman Catholic community of Blackhead.. The Blackhead One Room School and Church Museum is located in a wooden structure that highlights the built heritage of Blackhead and the history of the community. A friendly guide will show the school bell that the teacher would ring to summon the children to class and the wooden desks. A wealth of family history is stored in the genealogy exhibit which also includes a self-guided walking tour. As visitors relax on the bench in the yard In the spring, a scatter iceberg can be spotted in the Bay. The Blackhead One Room School and Church Museum was established to preserve and interpret the cultural history of the community of Blackhead near Cape Spear. The museum, governed by the Chapel Restoration Committee – Blackhead, Cape Spear Inc., preserves built history, collects, interprets, and records historical information and artifacts relating to the Blackhead. The museum provides interpretation through exhibits and displays, online information, and tours. It will serve the people currently residing in Blackhead, descendants of Blackhead, people who share an interest and curiosity of cultural heritage, especially students, all other people of the province, and visitors to the province.