OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY
Adams School District No. 3 (1930-1988)
Grice House Museum
865 North Huron Avenue
Harbor Beach, MI 48441
The Grice House, located at 865 North Huron Avenue in Harbor Beach, Michigan, is is a museum showing life in years gone by. The House was built by James G. Grice, who immigrated to the United States from England in the early 1860s with five of his seven sons and one daughter. By the 1870s he was employed at the Rock Falls sawmill. The building survived the 1881 Thumb Fire. In the 1960s, with the last Grice descendent deceased, the city of Harbor Beach purchased the property to settle the estates of James and Jane Grice. Shortly afterwards, a group of local volunteers stepped forward to convert the house and surrounding area into a museum. The museum complex now includes the house itself, the old Adam’s schoolhouse, and a pole barn. The Old Adams School, built in 1920, was moved to the Grice House Museum in Sand Beach Township grounds next to Waterworks Park in 1988. This school serves as a reminder of the area’s educational roots.