OLD SCHOOL OF THE DAY
Columbia School District No. 5 Schoolhouse
203 Ridgedale Avenue
Florham Park, New Jersey
Little Red Schoolhouse, also known as Columbia School District No. 5 Schoolhouse, is located in Florham Park, Morris County, New Jersey, United States. The schoolhouse was built in 1866. It is a vernacular Italianate one-story narrow red brick masonry building with a steep roof and tall 9/9 windows topped with gently arches. In 1905, it was expanded from four bays to the current six. The open belfry at the front peak with working bell and the gable-end entrance make it instantly identifiable as a typical 19th century one-room schoolhouse. Its location at the historic crossroads of Florham Park has remained a key reminder of the borough’s rural origins. The classic schoolhouse for is the borough’s icon, appearing on the town flag, letter head, website, and public works and first responder vehicles. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and then re-instated in June 6, 1986. In 1978, the schoolhouse was moved back several yards to accommodate the expanded Columbia Turnpike. The schoolhouse is operated as a museum by the Historical Society of Florham Park. Part of the museum is set up as a schoolroom from a century ago and mini lectures are offered for small groups of students and Scouts. Exhibits illustrate the development of Florham Park from a rural farming community, to the home of three major estates, and the community’s growth into a modern suburb. It is open to the public the first Sunday of most months with hours of 2:00-4:00 p.m. and each July 4, from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Entrance donations are accepted and appreciated. As a museum it includes artifacts such as broom making equipment, old maps and old school desks, and more from the 1800s and 1900s. The ground floor museum is A.D.A. accessible, but the basement restrooms are not.