Brown County Historical Society Pioneer Village School
90 E. Gould Street at Old School Way
Nashville, IN 47448
The mission of the Brown County Historical Society, a non-profit organization formed in 1957, is to collect, preserve, and present the history of Brown County, Indiana. To approach this goal, they maintain the Pioneer Museum in downtown Nashville and The Bailey/Reeve Archives at the Society building, and present a monthly program on local history. Located in downtown Nashville on the Northeast Corner just behind the Brown County Courthouse and across the street from the Brown County History Museum, the recently completed Brown County History Center Pioneer Village welcomes visitors with a wide front porch and rustic charm. There are exhibit halls; an authentically reconstructed and restored log cabin room with fireplace and exhibits typical of the pioneer period; a two-story 1879 log jail, used until 1919; a two-story dog-trot log building, once used as a community building and housing exhibits of Brown County schools and churches, military items, and a special exhibit of Cracker Jack memorabilia created by local artist Carey Cloud; a working blacksmith shop circa 1850; an 1898 doctor’s office used by Dr. Alfred J. Ralphy for nearly 50 years in Bellsville, in the southeastern part of the county; a gift shop; environmentally controlled areas for the collection and archive of important documents; and a replica one room school house. The Pioneer Village is open weekends May through October from 11:00 to 4:00 p.m., and by special arrangement.