Frankfort Area Historical Museum
2000 E. St. Louis St.
West Frankfort, IL 62896
Located in ‘old Frankfort’, the museum is the renovated three story Logan School and shows early Franklin County history, including a mural which follows the area’s development from 1802 to 1976. It offers a genealogy library, a one-room school demonstration, an arts and tea room, a replica of an early 1900s five-room home, a quilting room, an auditorium (the “Lowell Mitchell room”–mural located here), and a gift shop . The Frankfort Area Historical and Genealogical Society was organized in January 1971, for the purpose of searching out and preserving the history of the area. The dream of the society was to preserve the historical site of old Frankfort and establish a historical museum in the former Logan School building which stood in the center of the town common of old Frankfort. On July 10, 1972, the society leased the school and grounds from the Frankfort Community Unit School District No. 168. Renovation of the three-story building began one week later. Through the total devotion and determination of dedicated members, the Museum was dedicated on July 6, 1974. It is on the old “Shawnee Trail.” The early stage coach traveled this trail from Shawneetown, IL to Kaskaskia, IL.