St. Mary’s Chapel, Knoxville, IL
One of the many universities that resided in Knoxville, St. Mary’s School is rich in history. The only unaltered remnant from this private girl’s school that existed in northern Knoxville, St. Mary’s Chapel was was started in 1881 and, with the exception of a few windows, was completed in 1888. The cloister was completed in 1890. The building features Gothic architecture and stained glass windows made in the U. S. and Europe. The Chapel and attached cloister are all that remains of a once flourishing school for girls that succumbed to changed educational preferences and the economic depression of the 1930s. While the school no longer exists, some of its foundation can still be seen west of St. Mary’s chapel.