East Hickory Hill School
Jefferson County Historical Society
1411 N 27th St.
Mt Vernon, IL 62864
The complex, with a Historical Village, Museum, and Nature Trail, is conveniently located near downtown Mount Vernon, IL. The Museum and the Village with its buildings and their contents, reflect life in Jefferson County from the mid 19th century to more recent years. The village contains both original buildings and restorations primarily from the late 1800’s through the early 1900’s. Among the furnished buildings one finds homes of the 19th century, a one-room school, a log church and log jail, operating blacksmith and print shops, merchandise in the general store, and a variety of medical equipment from a foot-treadle dentist’s drill to a Civil War amputation kit in the Medical Building. The 1919 East Hickory Hill School, originally located west of Bluford, was moved to the Village intact. The Schweinfurth Museum and Interpretative Center, constructed in 1995 with funds donated by Carl Lincoln Schweinfurth, houses the Historical Society’s collections and memorabilia. The Museum currently includes exhibits of the history of cameras, clocks, musical instruments, and quilts. Bridal dresses are on display well as many other items.