Nathan Hale Schoolhouse – East Haddam, Connecticut
The Nathan Hale Schoolhouse is a historic site in East Haddam, Connecticut. In the winter of 1773, Nathan Hale briefly taught in this one-room schoolhouse before leaving East Haddam for another teaching position in New London, Connecticut. The schoolhouse is owned and operated by the Connecticut Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. The original schoolhouse was built in 1750 and served as the “First Society School” until 1799. Hale accepted the position as schoolmaster in East Haddam after graduating from Yale University in 1773. Hale’s tenure in East Haddam lasted from roughly October 1773 to March 1774. In 1800 the building was moved north on Main Street to land which is currently the site of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church. During this time, it was the private residence of Captain Elijah Atwood and his family. In 1899 the building was turned over, in trust, to Colonel Richard Henry Greene and the New York Society of the Sons of the Revolution. In 1900, the New York Society deeded the schoolhouse to the Connecticut Society Sons of the Revolution. By 1900, the schoolhouse was moved up the hill to a location behind St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church on property overlooking the Connecticut River. Since 1974, the Connecticut Society of the Sons of the American Revolution have maintained and overseen the schoolhouse with the support of the Nathan Hale Memorial Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.