District School No. 1, Cornwall, VT
Cornwall, VT, is located in the west central portion of the state, very near the New York border, and is surrounded by the Adirondack Mountains, the hills of Sudbury and Hubbarton, and the Green Mountains. D. S. No. 1 was built in 1845. It is in the Vernacular Greek Revival style and is one of a series of schoolhouses in the Cornwall area with remarkable cupolas that were built during the 1800s. In July, 1912, the school directors reported that during the previous year, 22 students ranging from 5 to 18 were registered at the school, with an average of fourteen students attending each day. Miss Mary Tully was the schoolteacher. The school closed its doors in 1960 when the city of Cornwall opened a central school. Currently, it is a private residence.