Lena Road School, Town of Pound, Oconto County, WI
The Lena Road School is located near Pound, Wisconsin. Constructed in 1911, Lena Road School is one of the few remaining one-room schoolhouses in Marinette County. Local farmers constructed the Lena Road school on land donated by a Belgian settler. Farmers had a personal stake in this school because their tax dollars funded it and the school educated only the children of farmers in the immediate area.
Unlike typical one-room schools built after 1910, which were embellished using popular styles of the time, the Lena Road School is devoid of ornament and equipped with only the essential elements of a schoolhouse. A pyramidal wooden belfry that houses the school bell crowns the metal roof. A single door opens into a vestibule from the center of the short side of the building. Inside the vestibule are two side doors that open to gender-specific cloakrooms, and a door opposite the school entrance, which leads to the classroom. Along the north side of the building, a series of five windows allow only indirect light while providing excellent ventilation, a standard feature of schoolhouse design in this period. Except for the electrification of the lighting, the interior is almost unchanged. School equipment such as cupboards and the blackboard convey a sense of the activity that had once taken place in the school. The school grounds feature the original privies and an early hand water pump.
For over fifty years, local farming families sent their children to the Lena Road School where they were taught from grades 1 through 8. The school was consolidated in 1964 and the building was purchased by the Maedke family who have restored the structure. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 where the site is listed as the Kena Road School House.