Center School, Ft. Wayne, Allen County, IN
Center School, a one-room schoolhouse in the Southwest Allen County School District, Fort Wayne, IN, was originally built in 1893 on the corner of what is now Aboite Center Road and Homestead Road as the first public school in the district. This was the center of Aboite Township, hence its name. In 1946 consolidation of small schools in Indiana was on the rise. This was the year Center School was retired from the township school system but reopened as a site for history classes in 1969. In June of 1993, the schoolhouse was carefully moved 3/10th of a mile east on Aboite Center Road. The Old Center School was then restored in the summer of 1995. This restoration won an Archie Award from the Arch Foundation that year. The schoolhouse is constructed of local brick. The slate roof and copper ridge caps were once the base to the old school bell. Inside, the original flooring, oak woodwork, and arches have been restored to its original condition in the late 1800s. Today, students still attend the one-room schoolhouse to reflect on the past and learn about Fort Wayne, Indiana, and world history. The Southwest community, an area rich in the tradition of education and learning, has taken great pains to preserve the Old Center School. This one-room schoolhouse was the foundation of public education in Southwest Allen County.