White Oak School, Southbury, CT
The recorded history of Southbury, CT, dates back to 1673. The first purchase from the Pootatuck Indians was dated April 26, 1673. When the first settlers, 15 families from Stratford whom the Southbury town website calls “insurgents,” traveled up the Housatonic on rafts and came to Southbury in 1673, they spent their first night under a white oak tree on Crook Horn Road, in what is now Settlers Park. That section of Southbury became known as White Oak and at 886 Main Street North is the old White Oak School House, built around 1840. More recently used as an antiques shop, the Greek Revival school house is part of a property, currently on the market, which includes the adjacent 1715 Croucher-Redmund House.