Sequoyah School, Siloam Springs, Arkansas
The Sequoyah School, District 39, was constructed in 1935, during the midst of the Great Depression, on prairie land near Siloam Springs, AR. Many schools of this era were built under a variety of federal work relief programs. Created from resources available at the time, the school was built of limestone, a commonly used material in that area. Siloam Springs is a city in Benton County, AR, sharing a border on the Arkansas-Oklahoma state line with the city of West Siloam Springs, Oklahoma, which is within the Cherokee Nation territory. The town was founded in 1882 and was characterized by the purported healing powers of the spring water feeding Sager Creek and trading with nearby Native American tribes.