Junction School, Gillespie County, TX
The one-room school was very important to the rural people living in Gillespie County. Here, near their homes, the children learned the “3R’s” – reading, writing, and arithmetic – enabling many of them to go on to high school and college. The schools were located close enough to children’s homes to allow to them to walk to school. There were 31 one-room schools located in Gillespie County; only one – Doss School – remains in operation today. The first one-room schoolhouse on the Pedernales River was actually a tent in the Christadelphian campgrounds one mile east of the present day Junction School. In 1882, the tent was replaced by the community with a small frame building that served both as a school and church. On September 27, 1910, John Pehl sold to the school district 2 3/4 acres of land on the north side of the Pedernales River to a build a new school. The fall term opened in the new school on November 21, 1910. The Junction School served the area for over 37 years. In the spring of 1947 the Junction School became part of the Stonewall Consolidated School District. This move closed the Junction School and the students attended the nearby Stonewall School. In 1972 the National Park Foundation purchased the land to become part of the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park. Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park is located in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. The park has two visitor areas separated by about 14 miles: the Johnson Settlement/Visitor Center/Boyhood Home/Park Headquarters in Johnson City, which includes the Junction School, and the LBJ Ranch near Stonewall. The Park Visitor Center in Johnson City is 50 miles west of Austin and 60 miles north of San Antonio. The State of Texas manages a Visitor Center near Stonewall where the visitor can obtain a free driving permit to the LBJ Ranch, which is managed by the National Park Service.