New Testament Stories My Daddy Told Me
PREACHING IN PHILIPPI (Acts 16:11-24)
By Wayne S. Walker
As a result of a vision Paul received from God in Troas in which a man of Macedonia asked him to come over into Macedonia and preach there, Paul, Silas, Timothy, and now Luke sailed from Troas, stopped by the island of Samothrace, and came to the port city of Neapolis, from which they went on to Philippi, the largest and most important city in the region of Macedonia. Not finding a synagogue, they went out of the city to the riverside where prayer was customarily made on the Sabbath and spoke to some women. One of them named Lydia, who was a seller of purple from Thyatira, was baptized and invited the company to stay in her house.
Shortly after this, while Paul and his group were going to prayer, they met a certain slave girl who was possessed with a spirit of divination that allowed her to tell fortunes. Her masters made a lot of money from her ability. The girl followed Paul and cried out, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” This went on for several days, and Paul finally became annoyed, probably because he felt that it cheapened the gospel to be associated with a fortune teller and her greedy masters. So, he used his miraculous power to cast the evil spirit out of the girl.
Of course, the girl’s masters did not like this because it removed their source of profit. Therefore, they had Paul and Silas arrested and dragged into the marketplace before the city authorities, falsely accusing the two of teaching things which it was unlawful for Roman citizens to receive or observe. Without waiting to discern the truthfulness of this charge, the multitude rose up against Paul and the magistrates had him and Silas beaten with rods. After the two had received many stripes, they were thrown into the prison where the jailor put them into the inner dungeon and fastened their feet in the stocks.
- What was the largest and most important city in Macedonia?
- Where did Paul and his group find some women praying?
- Which of these women was baptized and invited Paul’s company to stay with her?
- What ability did an evil spirit give a certain slave girl?
- What did this girl say about Paul and those with him?
- What did Paul do to stop the girl from annoying them?
- Where did the girl’s masters take Paul and Silas?
- In what way were Paul and Silas physically punished?
- After this, where were Paul and Silas put?