Saturday, both on our way to Valley Forge and on the Valley Forge tour, we passed the Washington Memorial Chapel (Rt. 23, P. O. Box 98, Valley Forge, PA 19481; www.WashingtonMemorialChapel.org ) but did not take the time to stop and go in. It is located on private property within the park and is currently used by an Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Pennsylvania. The Chapel was also designed to serve as a wayside chapel for visitors to Valley Forge National Historical Park, and as a National Memorial for the citizens of our Republic.
The Chapel was built as a tribute to George Washington and the American Patriots of the Revolution. The founder and first rector was W. Herbert Burk of the All Saints’ Episcopal Church of Norristown, PA. The cornerstone was laid in June of 1903. A small frame structure preceded the present structure and was known as the Theodore Roosevelt Chapel after a visit and address by him in 1904. The Martha Washington Cabin behind the chapel was built in 1915 as a parish hall and school but was converted into a gift shop in the 1960s.