Bennington Township Schoolhouse #5 is representative of the more than 9,000 rural schools that once dotted Iowa. Consolidations eliminated these one-room schools by 1966, but this building survives as a reminder of early education in the state. It was built in 1909, replacing an older building, and originally stood in the center of Bennington Township, four miles east of U.S. Highway #63 on the Dunkerton Road and then two miles North, near St. Johns Lutheran Church. Thus it was known as “Center School,” and because of its location was used as the voting place for the township. The Black Hawk County Conservation Board purchased the building in 1966 for $1,000 from Donald Sage. It was moved to Black Hawk Park, Cedar Falls, IA, in 1968 and given a new foundation and roof. At that time restoration work was undertaken by several local groups, most notably the Cedar Falls teachers, who chose this resource as their Bicentennial project in 1976. In the fall of 1987, the search for a new home began and in a short time, a site was designated in the Riverfront Beautification area near the Ice House Museum at First and Clay Streets. The building was moved on October 6, 1988, to its present location and is now known as “R” Little Red School House Museum.